29 December 2011

Ciao Maurizio

After reading many reviews (pro and con), I went to see the Maurizio Cattelan exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum to form my own opinion about this controversial exhibition.  Titled "All" the exhibition was designed to include 130 works dating from the late 1980s through the present serving as the artist's first comprehensive retrospective and his last.  Now for the controversial part; all 130 works were hung from the skylight of the Guggenheim.  It was designed as a farewell to the artworld and was one of the most unique uses of the architecture of the Guggenheim ever.  I'll admit that I wasn't exactly a maven or fan of his work before I saw the show but I went with an open mind and came out of the museum not only a fan but sad that I didn't discover him so much earlier.






















































































If you are hungry for more (as Anthony Bourdain would say), go to iTunes and download the fantastic, award-winning app about the exhibition, narrated by John Waters.

No comments: